Industry certification, Employment, Measurable skills gain
Method of Delivery
Instructional Program (CIP)
The Culinary Arts Program through Food Jobs Work is a 6-week intensive job training program specifically tailored for at-risk adults (those overcoming incarceration, homelessness or risk of homelessness, poverty, addiction and other limitations). It is held on the campus of Our House shelter in Little Rock in partnership with their Career Services program. Students will undergo a week of intense classroom preparation the first week, including a ServSafe Food Handler certification and an introduction to the culinary industry. The remaining 5 weeks are a combination of classroom and kitchen practical exercises, covering the basics of professional food preparation. The classroom curriculum also includes soft skills to help students overcome the mental barriers that sometimes limit achievement after a personal setback.
The final week of the 6 week program includes a written exam and a practical final cooking exam, judged by area chefs. Upon completion of the program, students are connected with paid opportunities to continue their training, either with Food Jobs Work's social enterprises or directly with an employer.
Students receive the following as part of completing the program (depending upon passage of exams):
- Opportunities to learn from local chefs and restaurant owners/managers
- A certificate of program completion from Arkansas Food Jobs (good for up to 6 hours of articulated credit at UA-PTC’s Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management Institute)
- ServSafe Food Handler certification (With a Food Protection Manager certification option for motivated students)
- Opportunities to work with us in our food production activities after graduation from the core program
- Assistance with job placement and ongoing support
- Wrap-around social services from Our House and Rock City Reentry
- Opportunity and connections to continue to culinary school if desired
Class hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. for the 6 weeks unless otherwise indicated for special events or activities.
Program Length (Weeks)
WIOA Approved Program
302 E Roosevelt Road, Little Rock, AR
5005 - City of Little Rock
Name of Credential
ServSafe Food Handler
Type of financial aid offered or have access to
Support provided through Rock City Reentry (Department of Workforce Services/Dept of Labor) and Our House shelter (TANF and other sources)
Is the proposed curriculum currently certified by an accrediting agency or similar national standardization program?
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for women?
Is this proposed curriculum considered a nontraditional program of training services for men?
Total In-State Program Cost
Total Out-of-State Program Cost