in Faulkner County, AR
Minimum Salary or Salary Range
National History Day Arkansas (NHDA) Affiliate Coordinator
National History Day Arkansas (NHDA) Affiliate Coordinator. Oversee facilitation of NHDA and teaching responsibilities in the Department of History. This is a 10-month position with the possibility of additional pay for summer work.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Oversee NHDA Regional and State Competitions. Providing training and leadership to participating teachers and schools throughout the state.
- Conduct classroom outreach visits and recruit teachers
- Plan teacher workshops and the annual state history day contest
- Develop a new statewide mentorship program to support teachers in rural, urban, and suburban schools serving underserved students as well as teachers seeking to develop their own research and writing skills.
- Adapt or develop resources so that Arkansas teachers have clear timelines, lesson plans, and resources to bring History Day into their classrooms.
- Complete required reporting for state funding, submit the annual budget, administer the annual affiliate agreement, and attend meetings with NHD’s national office and the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Regularly update NHD Arkansas’s website, the regional contest platforms, and the state contest platform.
- Communicate regularly with teachers through an email newsletter and/or direct mail-outs.
- Coordinate the state contest, recruit judges for the state contest, attend regional contests, train regional contest judges, and support regional contest coordinators.
- Build partnerships with archival, library, and museum staff around the state to support local history day teachers and students
- In April and May, meet with individual students and student groups advancing to the national contest to provide feedback on their projects.
As needed (and schedule permitting):
- Support the BSE in Social Studies program by
- helping to supervise student interns
- teaching a section of BSE methods
- Teach a section of US History survey
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This individual should have at least 10 years of secondary school teaching experience, social studies certification, and an MA, preferably in History. National Board Certification would also be desirable. Having previously
-Knowledge of the organization and administration of higher education.
-Knowledge of state, federal, and university rules, regulations and procedures.
-Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment.
-Ability to work collaboratively and independently with common goals as a part of a team.
-Ability to make sound judgments.
-Effective interpersonal communication, writing, and organizational abilities.
-Civility in all interactions.
-Demonstrate effective follow-up.
Required Education and/or Experience
This individual should have at least 10 years of secondary school teaching experience, social studies certification, and an MA, preferably in History.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
National Board Certification would also be desirable.
Desired start date 7/01/2022
Background Check Statement
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal, sex-offender registry, financial history background check and drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Affirmative action/equal opportunity institution dedicated to attracting and supporting a diverse student, faculty and staff population through enhanced multicultural learning environments and opportunities. In keeping with its nondiscrimination policy in employment, admissions and other functions and programs, the university considers employees and students on the basis of individual merit and will not discriminate against a person on the basis of gender, race or color, ethnicity, religion, spiritual beliefs, national origin, age, familial status, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, disability, political beliefs, intellectual perspective, genetic information, military status, or other factors irrelevant to participation in its programs.
Open Until Filled