The CNC Programmer is responsible for maintaining and developing programming for machining operations. The CNC Programmer will write and implement programming to improve the efficiency of production as well as the quality of finished products. This individual will utilize blueprints, CAD software, engineering schematics and other specifications in order to determine machine sequences and subsequently develop efficient programming. The CNC Programmer will also observe machines and product output to detect malfunctions or irregularities and adjust the program as required to ensure quality of production is maintained.
* Accountabilities: Operational
• Study blueprints and computer-aided drafting (CAD) software of products to be produced to determine programming needs.
• Study and interpret engineering drawings, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations and setup requirements.
• Determine machining operations, the sequence in which machining operations must be carried out, and the time required to finish the job to efficiently manufacture the product.
• Based upon specifications, write programs to accomplish the various machining operations as per the determined sequence and dimensions of the finished product.
• Provide assistance in planning the production cycle in order to set and achieve optimal production targets.
• Ensure all CNC programming written is in accordance with production blueprints and quality standards.
• Assistance other CNC operators in setting up new programs.
• Prior to full implementation, put machinery through test runs to ensure programming is working effectively. Note discrepancies between blueprint specifications and test products as they arise and provide resolution through program adjustment.
• Continually maintain the CNC programming database.
• Troubleshoot and diagnose common CNC problems, consulting with manufacturer as necessary.
• Closely monitor machines for signs of problems while ensuring output is meeting set specifications.
• Communicate with supervisors, engineers, production control, quality and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues.
• Liaise with multi-disciplinary teams to identify areas of inefficiency.
• Within the scope of the job requirements, will be required to adhere and comply with federal law and state law, Company policies and Safety and Environmental Regulations.
• Other duties as required.
• Ability to edit existing programs as well as test new programming.
• Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
• Must be adaptable to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible shifts and changing work schedules.
• Ability to detect, isolate, and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
• Demonstrated aptitude in reading and interpreting blueprints, diagrams, schematics, drawings, manuals, and specifications.
• Accurate and highly analytical.
• Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
* Education and Experience
• Associates degree or certification in a related field preferred.
• Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in machining.
• Journeyman / Red Seal CNC Machinist certification preferred.
• 5 or more years' experience in CNC programming in a manufacturing setting preferred
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook