at Ritter Communications in Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States
Ritter Communications has been at the forefront of the local communications industry for more than a century. We began providing telephone service in Northeast Arkansas in 1906. Today, Ritter Communications serves 92 communities and more than 45,000 customers across Arkansas, northeast Texas, southeast Missouri, and west Tennessee. The company has grown steadily over the years, expanding rapidly and is now the largest privately-held regional broadband fiber, telecom, video and cloud services provider in the Mid-South. Ritter invests heavily in the communities it serves by deploying proven, best-in-class infrastructure and technology, while coupling it with a world-class customer focused experience.
The Network Planning Engineer (Voice) is a Voice Engineer responsible for the voice core network equipment selection as well as planning, design and implementation of various voice network elements within Ritter Communications network. This work includes equipment specification and final configurations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Designs and budgets voice network elements and work with appropriate deployments teams to ensure implementation;
- Recommends hardware solutions, plan and prepare detailed materials for voice network elements;
- Performs capacity planning to ensure optimal performance of voice network resources and recommend solutions;
- Develops budgets for rate center/market connectivity, migration plans and complex pre-sales;
- Participates in inter-departmental planning meetings to coordinate and communicate activities related to the successful completion of projects;
- Works closely with Network Operations personnel to hand-off newly deployed voice core equipment for ongoing surveillance and management;
- Ensures all voice network engineering records are up to date;
- Streamlines and standardize on implementation methods and procedures that allow for scale;
- Supports NOC escalations related to voice;
- Travels to customer sites, project areas, business related events, and other Ritter Communications locations as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director, Network Planning & Deployment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong technical background in implementing voice solutions;
- Call Routing and translations experience preferred;
- Experience in Metaswitch network elements a plus;
- Knowledge of VoIP system and IP protocol design, installation practices and principals;
- Rate Center interconnection planning and deployment a plus;
- Experience provisioning or commissioning telecommunications network elements such as routers/switches and optical transport network elements;
- Broad understanding of Internet & Routing Protocols; BGP, VLAN, IPv4 & IPv6 a plus;
- Strong desire to learn new technologies and define standards;
- Aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines;
- Skill in problem identification, resolution and oral and written communication;
- Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents such as vendor deployment guidelines, white papers and configuration manuals;
- Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner; Ambitious and goal oriented, with initiative to work until job is complete;
- Ability to travel for business requirements; must possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Networking, or related field or equivalent combination of work experience and certifications.
Ritter Communications is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We strive to maintain a drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, cancer, accident and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, flexible spending accounts, free gym membership, company discounts, tuition reimbursement, paid training, paid leave, and much more!