at Ritter Communications in Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States
The Network Field Engineering Technician, Planning and Deployment, maintains network facilities and equipment as well as installs network elements (transport, access and core) within the Ritter Communications network. This work also involves design, standardization and management of critical infrastructure including ISP/cabling.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs network equipment based on installation standards; This includes but is not limited to switches, routers, servers, power systems, optical network equipment, patch panels and cables;
- Owns stage 1 network equipment configuration, installation and testing; This includes base configuration specific to requirements;
- Gathers and accounts for all material and equipment needed for network installations based on deployment design;
- Ensures Critical Infrastructure/power systems are functional which includes performing and analyzing battery routines, performing maintenance on UPS and DC power systems;
- Provides feedback (as-built data) to Planning Engineers to ensure all site records are accurate and updated in M4;
- Provides feedback to manager regarding network facility needs for annual budgeting;
- Ensures all cables are routed correctly through cable management systems;
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on network equipment and facilities as defined; Perform regular site audits for records assurance;
- Performs annual alarm testing with the NOC;
- Provides final ‘Room Ready’ documentation for new POPs; This includes all aspects required by the NOC to assume monitoring of network facility environmentals alarms;
- Manages on site labeling of all ISP and network equipment;
- Prioritizes safety as a primary objective in all duties;
- Supports Network Operations and Network Planning & Deployment teams including night work and 24 hour emergency call out;
- Travels to customer sites, project areas, business related events, and other Ritter Communications locations as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic electronics, specification sheets, and circuit diagrams;
- Knowledge of telecommunications design, installation practices and principals;
- Experience installing and/or commissioning telecommunications network elements such as routers, switches, DSLAMs, PON, TDM, VOIP, DWDM and associated cabling;
- Understanding of DC Power System;
- Experience in Ciena, Calix and Nokia platforms a plus;
- Experience with various equipment asset and circuit inventory systems;
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs including Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Visio), and telephone systems;
- Skill in problem identification, resolution and oral and written communication;
- Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents such as vendor deployment guidelines, white papers and configuration manuals;
- Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner; Ambitious and goal oriented, with initiative to work until job is complete;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand;
- Ability to evaluate, test, and repair network equipment;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to support a 7 day x 24 hour x 365 day operations environment;
- Ability to travel for business requirements; must possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent plus 2-3 years of related job training and work experience installing and maintaining network equipment, repair, wiring & cabling and associated peripherals.
Mapcom M4 experience a plus; Project Management skills highly desired.