at Ritter Communications in Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States
The Network Planning Engineer serves as an optical transport architect responsible for transport equipment selection as well as planning, design and implementation of various transport network elements within Ritter Communications network. This work includes equipment specification and final configurations. Projects may encompass green field builds, capacity augments, grooms or decommissioning of systems.
Essential Job Functions:
- Define, order and oversee installation and integration of network infrastructure; This includes but is not limited to DWDM optical transport systems, switches, routers, servers, patch panels and cables;
- Recommend hardware solutions, plan and prepare detailed equipment installation standards and guides to support all transport network elements;
- Perform capacity planning to ensure optimal performance of network resources and recommends solutions;
- Develop budgets for market connectivity, migration plans and complex pre-sales;
- Streamline and standardize on equipment, implementation methods and procedures that allow for scale;
- Participate in inter-departmental planning meetings to coordinate and communicate activities related to the successful completion of projects;
- Work closely with Network Operations personnel to hand-off newly deployed equipment for ongoing surveillance and management;
- Ensure all ISP records are updated and accurate;
- Streamline and standardize on implementation methods and procedures that allow for scale;
- Generate quote requests, purchase requests and RFPs;
- Support NOC escalations;
- Travels to customer sites, project areas, business related events, and other Ritter Communications locations as required;
- Performs other duties as assigned by Network Planning & Deployment Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong technical background in layer 1 and 2 technologies;
- Experience in Ciena 6500 transport systems;
- Knowledge of telecommunications design, installation practices and principals;
- Experience provisioning or commissioning telecommunications network elements such as routers/switches and optical transport network elements;
- Broad understanding of Internet & Routing Protocols; BGP, VLAN, IPv4 & IPv6 a plus;
- Strong desire to learn new technologies and define standards;
- Aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines;
- Skill in problem identification, resolution and oral and written communication;
- Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents such as vendor deployment guidelines, white papers and configuration manuals;
- Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner; Ambitious and goal oriented, with initiative to work until job is complete;
- Ability to travel for business requirements; must possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Networking, or a related field or 5-7 years of relevant telecommunications technical experience required.