at Arkansas Department of Transportation (LR) in Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States
Job Title: Maintenance Aide I Job Code: 409-001 Category: H - Service-Maintenance Employment Status: Full Time Regular Pay Rate Type: Non-Exempt Salary Minimum: $29,120.00 Job Description:
CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for operating a single axle truck and/or operating a tractor and attached mowing apparatus, and performing various road maintenance functions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of various types of work performed. No attempt is made to be exhaustive. Related, similar, or other logical duties are performed as assigned. The Department may require employees to perform functions beyond those contained in job descriptions. The Department may modify job descriptions based on Department needs. The Arkansas Department of Transportation is an "at will" employer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain control of grass and weeds by mowing using large tractors and gang mowers frequently.
- Perform landscape maintenance and tree cutting on the highway right-of-ways and at facilities using industrial weed-eaters, brush hooks, chainsaws, pole saws, limb saws and other small power equipment frequently.
- Operate single-axle dump truck hauling highway construction or maintenance materials frequently.
- Use power equipment as well as small hand tools (such as shovels and rakes) frequently to make repairs to highways.
- Load, unload, and stack bags of salt, sand, cement, chemicals, etc. frequently.
- Pick up litter (including large tires, dead animals, garbage, etc.) frequently.
- Flag traffic frequently.
- Assist crewmembers in setting up, moving and taking down signs and cones for work zones.
- Respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week (such as natural disasters, severe weather, traffic accidents, etc.) occasionally.
- Work during ice and snow removal operations occasionally.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform regular servicing and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
Job Requirements: MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience: Ability to read, write and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language and to make entries on reports and records. Experience operating a truck, tractor or heavy equipment preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to learn local street and highway names/numbers. Basic math and computer skills. Ability to follow oral instructions. Ability to learn and safely perform the operation of a single-axle truck, tractor and heavy equipment. Ability to learn and work with simple hand tools and small power equipment.
Physical Requirements: Ability to stand and walk for extended periods. Ability to climb up and down hills and grades as well as in and out of vehicles and equipment. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
Working Conditions: Ability to perform assigned duties in all types of weather as well as other work conditions, e.g. noise, dust and fumes.
Licenses, Registrations and Certifications: Valid driver’s license required.
Applicants for this position must obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) with tanker (“N”) endorsement within 180 calendar days of hire. Failure to obtain the required CDL certification within the 180-day period may result in immediate termination. Successful applicants must meet the physical and mental requirements for a CDL.
A pre-employment drug/alcohol test will be conducted after a contingent offer of employment or transfer has been made, and prior to the candidate performing any work for the Department in that capacity. Internal applicants who are already in a safety-sensitive position will not be subject to pre-employment drug/alcohol testing; however, offers to internal applicants who are not in a safety-sensitive position will be contingent upon pre-employment drug/alcohol testing. Subject to additional drug/alcohol testing according to the provisions of the ARDOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Program.