at Ozark Christian College in Joplin, Missouri, United States
Job DescriptionJob description The Dining Hall Cook prepares and presents great tasting food for all dining hall consumers. The cook, in cooperation with all dining hall staff, will ensure that we maintain the highest sanitation and safety standards as determined by Health Department regulations. The role of the cook will be essential in serving the consumer with safe and healthy meals as determined by the Dining Hall Director. This is a fast-paced role requiring a collaborative team spirit and strong leadership skills.
What you’ll do:
- Help plan, prepare, and execute great tasting, nutritious meals for Ozark’s community - primarily students, but also including staff, faculty, and occasional outside guests
- Ensure all recipes, procedures, storage, labeling, rotation, and product specifications are followed on a daily basis to ensure guests dine on high-quality meals
- Ensure food is served with the highest quality in a timely fashion
- Maintain quantity and quality of all food being served according to the daily need as well as some banquet preparation for a larger scale of consumers
- Ensure a meticulously clean and safe food preparation area to be in accordance with all Health Department guidelines
- Manage student workers to keep on task and finish duties
- Responsible to inform the director of equipment needs and repairs
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll need:
- Recipe knowledge and comfortability to follow recipe directions at a fast pace
- Ability to multiply a recipe to increase the yield for events and larger luncheons
- Ability to adhere to all safety protocol in every aspect of food preparation and cooking
- Must have a positive and optimistic approach to problem-solving and ability to gently but firmly lead others
- Must be able to slice and dice foods with precision to ensure the utmost safety to oneself as well as others
- Experience in using standard kitchen preparation items including cutting tools, bakeware, and ovens
- Knowledge of various cooking procedures and methods such as boiling, grilling, baking, and frying
- One year prior knowledge of various cooking and baking procedures and methods
- Ability to follow all sanitation procedures to ensure clean work areas with little to no continued direction while maintaining all chemical safety protocol
- Collaborative team spirit and ability to resolve conflict quickly
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly when giving direction
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Diploma from a culinary school would yield a great advantage to the candidate
Work Environment and Physical:
This position will function primarily in a kitchen setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle various kitchen objects and engage in two-way communication. The Dining Hall Cook is required to reach with hands and arms carrying varied weight amounts up to 50 pounds and continuously uses hand strength to grasp utensils and carry pots and pans. This position will have to squat, stoop, kneel, reach above the head, and reach out to the side and in front of their body. This position will regularly bend and twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person. This position is also required to be on their feet for extended periods of time while maintaining a satisfactory speed of work. The employee may occasionally work with toxic chemicals such as degreasers and sprays and must be able to exercise extreme chemical safety to ensure their wellbeing as well as other staff. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and this position will need the ability to concentrate and remain on-task at all times while preparing the meals.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER
Ozark Christian College is affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is to train men and women for Christian service. The college seeks to educate and hire individuals who share its core values to accomplish its mission. It is the intent of the college to create and promote a diverse workforce consistent with its stated goals and mission.
It is the policy of Ozark Christian College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in admission and access to educational opportunities, programs, activities, or employment as applicable to ministries in section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended and implementing regulations.
As a religious educational institution, Ozark Christian College reserves the right to make employment decisions based on religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the college’s religious beliefs. Further, as a Christian ministry, the college has the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions based on criteria established by the college.