at Facebook in Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Our Statistics & Privacy team focuses on establishing step-change improvements to advance our long-term business growth. The team’s expertise spans many domains including statistics, machine learning, economics, and cryptography. We develop methodologies, design and prototype solutions, and partner with our engineering colleagues to launch these solutions such that millions of advertisers can benefit.
We seek Research Scientists to identify new opportunities and help build scientifically rigorous systems focused on enhancing technological guarantees for consumer privacy while simultaneously expanding the efficiency of Facebook’s market-leading advertising systems. Challenges include leveraging privacy-enhancing technologies such as multi-party computation, homomorphic encryption, federated analytics, and differential privacy to develop privacy-focused advertising solutions (private record-linkage, fraud prevention, reporting and experimentation, and collaborative inference) – all while maintaining performance at massive scale.
1. Identify specific, high-impact research opportunities to develop new and improve existing privacy-preserving advertising solutions
2. Design, develop and implement new methods or algorithms for privacy-preserving solutions. Assess the validity and rigor of new approaches
3. Build cross-functional relationships with Engineering, Product, and AI teams to shape long-term product roadmaps with a balance of scientific rigor and strategic considerations
4. Learn new tools, systems, and programming languages quickly as required by the particular project you are working on
5. Develop patent applications, white papers, and publications that are broadly appealing and accessible beyond a core scientific audience. Publish research results in top-tier journals and at leading conferences
6. PhD in computer science, engineering, cryptography, mathematics or a related field, or MS degree with 4+ years of relevant experience architecting privacy and security solutions
7. Proficiency designing and implementing analytical and/or algorithmic solutions, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets
8. Proficiency in C-family (e.g. C++, Rust, Go), Python, or similar language
9. Experience with communicating analysis and establishing confidence among audiences who do not share your disciplinary background or training
10. Proven track record of innovation
11. Expertise on one or more of the following core privacy/security concepts:
12. Privacy technologies: e.g., homomorphic encryption, secure multi-party computation, federated analytics, trusted execution environments, data minimization, data anonymization, differential privacy
13. Design and analysis of cryptographic algorithms and protocols, and/or their application to data protection and privacy, authentication, payments, or digital advertising
14. Experience in privacy and data protection systems architecture and experience developing technical solutions to secure personal data across data infrastructures
15. Web security (SQL injection, XSS, side channel attacks)
16. Web services technologies (REST, SOAP, HTTP, JSON) and their application in relation to browser cookies and mobile device identifiers
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account