at Facebook in Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
As a Linguist, you will manage language data systems for NLP development. You will be responsible for determining language needs, setting the strategic vision for data-based model and product improvements, working with cross-functional partners to create consistent language products across dialects and languages, and helping to design and develop Facebook’s language data infrastructure. You will use your analytical mindset, strong communication skills, collaborative attitude, and personal drive to achieve team goals.We value expertise in any subfield of linguistics, expect a passion for the scientific study of language, and value research experience that includes a thorough understanding of the scientific method and experimental design. We are seeking new colleagues who work well on teams, are open to different viewpoints, and can quickly agree on the most optimal solutions to language data problems.
1. Provide linguistic expertise in the areas of syntax, semantics, pragmatics, dialog, ontology, and NLP.
2. Build datasets, pipelines, and models for ML applications.
3. Clearly communicate expertise with project stakeholders.
4. Identify best practices and improve procedures across NLP systems.
5. Identify linguistic needs and gaps within project ontologies and NLP systems.
6. Anticipate language-based problems before they occur.
7. Drive projects from conceptualization through launch and beyond with continual improvement and support.
8. Design and conduct language experiments.
9. Degree in Linguistics, Language Technologies, Computational Linguistics, Speech Science, Computer Science, related field, or equivalent industry experience.
10. Experience in various areas of linguistics, including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, and field work.
12. Demonstrated leadership within smaller projects or teams.
13. Experience designing and conducting language data experiments.
14. Experience with hierarchical structures and ontologies.
15. Experience with text labeling problems.
16. Experience prioritizing multiple work streams and conduct day-to-day tasks without oversight.
17. Track record working on or leading cross-functional efforts, initiatives, or projects.
18. Experience forming internal team relationships and foster external relations.
19. Advanced degree in Linguistics, Language Technologies, Computational Linguistics, Speech Science, or related field.
20. Experience with larger scripting projects that involve combining language data from different sources, computing complex metrics over large datasets, etc.
21. Strong understanding of the relationship between data and machine learning models in order to increase linguists’ impact on ML projects.
22. Familiarity with core data processing techniques and tooling (including version control, unit tests, and other programming best practices).
23. Fluency in two or more natural languages.
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.