at Brunner and Lay in Springdale, Arkansas, United States
· Position and move steel workpieces through a series of dies that compress and shape stock to form die impressions
· Set up, operate, or tend presses and forging machines to perform hot or cold forging by flattening, straightening, bending, cutting, piercing, or other operations to taper, shape, or form steel.
· Turn handles or knobs to set pressures and depths of ram strokes and to synchronize machine operations.
· Install, adjust, and remove dies, synchronizing cams, forging hammers, and stop guides, using overhead cranes or other hoisting devices, and hand tools.
· Start machines to produce sample workpieces, and observe operations to detect machine malfunctions and to verify that machine setups conform to specifications.
· Confer with other workers about machine setups and operational specifications.
· Trim and compress finished forgings to specified tolerances.
· Remove dies from machines when production runs are finished.
· Repair, maintain, and replace parts on dies.
· Select, align, and bolt positioning fixtures, stops, and specified dies to rams and anvils, forging rolls, or presses and hammers.
· Sharpen cutting tools and drill bits, using bench grinders.