in Sebastian County, AR
5NEWS is looking for a dynamic and experienced meteorologist to lead our weather coverage. Our next Meteorologist will get the science but will have mastered the art of making it enjoyable and easy to understand for our viewers. We are looking for a person who is high energy and passionate about weather but can stay cool under pressure. This meteorologist will not only be dedicated to delivering life-saving information on-air but also interacting and connecting with viewers through digital and social media platforms. You’ll be forecasting everything from derechos and tornadoes to snow storms and polar cold. This is an opportunity to keep your eyes on the sky while having your feet planted in one of the country’s most livable cities.
• Weather data analysis and forecasting
• Use WSI, GR Analyst and appropriate weather technology to produce innovative and clear weather graphics
• Present daily weather forecasts in a friendly, easy-to-understand manner
• Ability to ad-lib during severe weather events and convey life-saving information in an appropriate tone
• Report from the field for weather and community events
• Attend daily editorial meetings
• Update news team on weather conditions and work with news management to coordinate coverage plans
• Provide radio forecast to content partners
• Consistently produce graphics, photos, videos and other content for social media
• Connect with viewers through social media lives
• May be scheduled to work any and all shifts
• Representing 5NEWS at community events
• 3-5 years of on-air experience presenting weather
• Working knowledge of radar and computer weather graphics
• Ability to put together accurate, informative, creative and easy-to-understand weathercasts for TV and digital
• In-depth knowledge of weather science and excellent forecasting skills
• Proficient in using WSI graphics and technology
• Proficient in radar technology
• Ability to tell a compelling weather story
• Dynamic on-air presence with a conversational weather presentation
• Proven on-air experience in handling breaking news and severe weather coverage
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to do live field reporting on weather and other topics.
• Must be able to work all shifts – holidays and weekends included
• CBM, AMS and/or NWA seal preferred
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology or related field
• Military training and experience will be considered
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.