in Pulaski - Little Rock County, AR
A Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for assisting in the design and installation of databases and database management systems (DBMS) and identification of storage requirements for new and existing systems. This position is responsible for executing/following procedures for the maintenance, upgrade, backup/restoration and monitoring of deployed databases, and must respond rapidly to database issues. The DBA is responsible for developing, improving, documenting, and implementing processes and procedures used by the Database Administration team.
A DBA has knowledge of the basic aspects of database administration and is experienced in at least one DBMS deployed at Southwest Power Pool. This position coordinates with the Supervisor, Database Administration or the Technical Lead Database Administrator where specific technical expertise assistance is required. The position will assist the Technical Lead DBA or the Supervisor, Database Administration in acquiring technical expertise assistance from other groups.
- Monitor assigned database servers and DBMS in multiple environments and formulate solutions to potential issues or problems
- Administer user access to databases
- Analyze and trend database growth, usage and performance
- Monitor and review alert logs, audit trails and provide supporting documentation
- Assist in database design, development and deployment
- Develop, execute and review database backup and restoration processes
- Execute database application upgrades and patches
- Capture and review performance issues with vendors and internal teams
- Implement, monitor and enforce database security policies
- Provide on-call duties, as required
- Execute database upgrades and patches
- Maintain centralized database-related documentation
- Provide subject matter expertise on assigned projects
- Assist in technical database requirements for assigned projects based on business specifications
- Understand business and technical requirements of assigned projects
- Participate in test execution and production cut-over on assigned projects
- Participate in diverse ad-hoc technical or business teams as assigned providing technical and business knowledge relating to databases
- Assist in projects deploying new or upgraded databases involving multiple IT groups and End Users
- Provide technical expertise to SPP committees and working groups. May be called upon to represent SPP at other industry related committee and working group meetings
- Provide technical and training assistance in areas of expertise to training department or other employees, as needed
- Effectively communicate, written and verbal, with all SPP departments. Clearly convey plans, ideas, designs, configurations and procedures to all SPP departments. Comprehend business needs, plans, ideas and procedures relayed by all SPP departments
- Configure systems and software with the ability to change as business needs dictate while maintaining the production environment and servicing the user community
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology-related field, or equivalent job-related experience; AND
- Lead DBA - Ten (10) years database management experience
- DBA Eight (8) years database management experience
- DBA II - Three (3) years of database management experience
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Effective working knowledge/experience with Unix or Linux operations systems
- Effective analytical and problem solving abilities
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures
- DBA certification in a DBMS deployed at SPP at the current or first previous release level
- Variety of experience in database projects including deployment
- Proven leadership characteristics
- Experience with Oracle, IBM Netezza and Replication, or Microsoft SQL Server Administration including maintaining awareness of new releases, patches and upgrades; work load management a plus
- Application and SQL query tuning including SQL optimization and query plan/execution optimization
- Linux based server experience with infrastructure and network knowledge
- Knowledge of SDLC processes and automation techniques
- Experience in leading efforts to implement continuous improvements including collaboration across multiple teams
- Scripting experience: PowerShell, Perl, Python, Bash, Shell scripting
- Informatica ETL technologies
- Experience with backup/restore using Rubrik
- Experience with Enterprise Data Governance
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to make decisions, interpret data, and problem solve.
- The employee frequently is required to stand or sit for extended periods; use hands to operate a computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 10 pounds.
- Requires the ability to work and collaborate with managers and employees at all levels to exchange ideas, information, and opinions to facilitate the task.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of workweek are Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Working extended hours may be required.
This position requires minimal travel (approximately 10%)
Should you elect to apply for this position SPP will review your qualifications. If after reviewing the qualifications and experience of all applicants, your skills and credentials meet our needs, someone from our organization may contact you. Please be advised that the time required to complete the applicant review process typically takes between 30 and 90 days, but could extend beyond that. Once the position has been filled, all applicants will be notified via email.
Southwest Power Pool is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other protected category.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines “reasonable accommodation” as a change or adjustment to a job or work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of a particular job, and does not cause an undue hardship for the employer. SPP adheres to the ADA and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.