at Cantera Concrete in Lowell, Arkansas, United States
The Superintendent is responsible for field operations on the project(s) assigned in order to achieve safe, quality and profitable projects completed in a timely manner. The Superintendent directly supervises field labor force, including laborers/craft workers. This position must demonstrate strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, as well as have strong communication and client service skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote Cantera’s culture of “Safety First”.
- Project safety implementation and management in accordance with Cantera’s Safety Program.
- Participate in all incidents/accidents aggressively, including going to the occupational medical facility with the co-workers.
- Lead safety training sessions (Toolbox Talks, JHA’s, Stretch and Flex, etc.). Interact with co-workers and get their feedback as to how we can improve safety on the project.
- Interacts with the Cantera Safety Coordinator to ensure a safety workplace.
- Enforces site specific safety plans created by enforcing Cantera’s rules, this includes your workers, other crews, and any trade on site.
- Be willing to discipline noncompliance.
- Train crews in the Cantera Quality Process.
- Follow Cantera’s Concrete Quality Process ensuring a Pre-Pour Checklist is completed on every yard of concrete poured on the project.
- Be familiar with and follow the Cantera Concrete Staff Organization document for managing projects.
- Follows the information provided for each project.Report project man-hours and quantities on a timely basis.
- Participate in the Job Turnover Process with the Estimator, Project Manager, General Superintendent and other members of the Cantera leadership team.
- Direct day-to-day on-site supervision of field labor force.Maintain good relationships with internal and external clients, including representatives of Owner and Architect/Engineer.
- Develop and maintain site logistics plan, in coordination with Project Manager.
- Coordinate site testing and inspection efforts.
- Monitor costs including labor time and material.
- Manage schedules and ensure all activities take place on or ahead of scheduled dates and completes a three-week lookahead schedule on a weekly basis.
- Attend and participate in project meetings, including subcontractor meetings.
- Maintain and verify as-built drawings are accurate.
- Mobilizes the site and set up site utilities.Assures necessary permits are secured and inspections occur.Reviews, understands, documents to drawings, and executes all Requests for Information (RFIs).
- Reviews and executes submittals for implementation of the work.
- Reviews cost reports to assure they reflect accurate quantities and work out of place.
- Actively coordinate subcontractors, suppliers, vendors and craft to meet project schedules.
- Complete Daily Project Reports, Concrete Log, Sign-In Sheets and other documents.
- Maintain on-site accurate shop drawings for implementing the work.
- Coaches and mentors growth in crews and encourages Foreman and Craftsman to be mentors.
- Coordinates location of control for layout with the Customer and Cantera Field Engineering Department.Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
Construction Industry Knowledge-
- Broad understanding of the concrete and construction industry.
- Computer and mobile device knowledge and efficiency, including Microsoft Office products, Field Time and other products used by the Company.
Communication and Teamwork Skills-
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate with all levels, both internally and externally.
- Functions effectively as part of a team.
Leadership and Time Management Skills-
- Exhibits strong leadership qualities.
- Strong decision making/problem solving skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; able to organize work, engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines.
- Able to perform duties independently.
- Strong attention to detail.Works well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Can follow rules but is capable of showing initiative.
- Enjoys overcoming objections/resistance and achieving goals in the face of obstacles.
WORK CONDITIONS AND HOURS:
- Regularly works on a construction site over rough terrain.
- Requires exposure to the elements on a regular basis.
- Must be comfortable with periodic travel.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects.HoursRequires overtime hours on a regular basis.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Five (5) years of Concrete industry experience or five (5) years equivalent of education and experience.
- EducationTwo (2) year or four (4) year Degree, preferably in Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent work experience.
Certifications (certifications are preferred – Company assistance will be provided to obtain)-
- OSHA 10 Certified
- OSHA 30 Certified
- CPR Certified
- First Aid Certified
- ACI Concrete Testing Technician Certified
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Technician Certified