in County, AR
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Payroll Specialist plays a vital role in strengthening Heifer International’s relationships and reputation in the community by ensuring that appropriate, accurate use of Heifer International’s resources to fulfill monetary obligations to vendors, employees, and other Heifer associates. This person will primarily support the Accounting department with all payroll practices and functions, while cross-training in a manner that supports the functions of Accounts Payable and other accounting functions as needed.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
The Payroll Specialist will be a team player, accountable, knowledgeable in all aspects of payroll practices, organized, accurate and detail oriented, honest and trustworthy while providing a high level of confidentiality.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Payroll Functions (75%)
- Bi-Weekly payroll processing
- Process payroll accurately bi-weekly per the payroll calendar
- The ability to calculate net to gross manually.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot issues
- Provide a high level of confidentiality
- Process employee garnishments timely and according to law
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities on tasks
- Ensure that timesheets are processed accurately and timely for both US and country office staff
- Monitor and resolve timesheets that may be hung in workflow
- Processing of JE and Wires: Prepare Journal Entries and wires
- Audit: Assist with annual audits (HI, 403B, workers comp)
- State and Federal Tax withholdings and Unemployment taxes
- Ensure that all state, federal tax withholding, employer liability tax, and State Unemployment are filed and paid timely and accurately according to state mandates.
- Research new state tax obligations and set up new state tax accounts for electronic payments
- Process annual W2’s, electronically and paper. Follow up on inquiries and have knowledge of how each box is calculated.
- Knowledge of the quarterly 941 process, assist
- Maintain W-4s
- Special Projects
- Assist in system set up changes and testing for all updates rather it be payroll, benefit changes, tax updates, new deductions, etc.
- Assist with stream lining processes and forms
B. Communication (10%)
- Provide assistance to staff globally on payroll or timesheets within policies and process guidelines
- Assist with communication sent out to staff on tax changes, payroll updates and new process or forms.
- Work in collaboration with Human Resources team on various projects
- Prepare and maintain all training material for users manuals, Laserfiche or other systems and be willing to assist staff with training needs professionally and timely.
C. Accounts Payable (10%)
- Cross train and assist in all aspects of the accounts payable department.
- Will need to have a general concept of accounts payable processes.
D. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business plus two-four (2-4) years of related experience in accounting or business.
- Working knowledge of Spanish would be an asset.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of basic principles and processes of Accounting, Payroll and Accounts Payable.
- Experience in multi-state payroll processing with working knowledge of processing actual payrolls in a minimum of one state
- Experience with setting up an employer in a new state for taxes
- Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Working knowledge of Federal and State tax withholding forms
- Ability to work in very time constrained environments.
- Excellent writing, grammar and editing skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office products required.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a wide range of culturally diverse individuals and to convey information to all levels of employees.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced environment with minimal direction.
- Must exhibit a professional, courteous demeanor at all times.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- May require constant sitting and working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to perform simple to moderate mathematical functions.
- Must be able to work with sensitive confidential materials and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- May require constant face-to-face, telephone, and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Requires excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage and execute multiple tasks and consistently meet weekly, monthly and annual deadlines.
- Must be able to produce accurate and detailed information.
- Must be able to navigate and utilize complex accounting information systems (such as Agresso).
- Must exhibit excellent communication skills with all levels of personnel, including management, and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to determine proper accounting treatment of transactions